Header Banner
Home
About the Church Church History Church Groups Church Events Services
Left Nav Banner Contact Us Newsletter Photo Galleries

St. George's Wakefield History

List of Clergy

Records of Wakefield Mission go back as far as 1895.

1898 - A meeting was held at the home Archie Johnstone to consider the building of a chruch and the purchase of a building site. The land was purchased for $25.00 and a parish formed to be known as the "Wakefield Parish".

1903 - The foundation was laid, but not without some disagreement. The church was originally intended to face east, but while the priest was in Winnipeg for a few days, a switch was made and the foundation was in place on his return.

November 6, 1904 - The Church, free of debt, was consecrated. Jesse Arnott Curiston was organist.

December 21, 1904 - The first celebration of marriage took place when Rev. Larson united Annabella Sinclair and Thomas George Favel.

1905 - A bell was sent from England and erected on a stand south of the church.

1944 - A bell tower was built in memory of those who served in World Wars One and Two.

1955- Myrtle Sutherland was organist (Also noted: Mary McNabb was organist for 50 years).

1963 - The Rectory burned to the ground.

1965 - The former Parkdale School was purchased and moved on site to be used as the church hall. Twenty years later a kitchen and plumbing was installed.

1974 - Beth Aime was the first woman ordained a Deacon in the Diocese of Rupert's Land.

1994 - A memorial stained glass window "The Lost Sheep" was installed.

2012 - Church launches its first website.

 

Church Bell 1905